Google Friend Connect

Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Taco Salad

This post is not about wild, new, or crazy ideas about what we served for supper here tonight.  It's taco salad.  That wheel was invented sometime back in 1992.  And it was a good one.

Probably explains why I put a tortilla baker on our wedding registry.  Why I was so sure we needed them in our little apartment, I am not sure.  But I am sure I was sure.  Does that make sense?

The tortilla bakers look like this.  I am equally sure they were manufactured by Baker's Secret.  A quick Google search now brings up Norpro as the manufacturer, but they look identical to me.  But who knows, my eyesight is pretty poor at my age.

Start out with the obvious - ground beef and taco seasoning.  I know, I know, I could go all Martha here and make my own seasoning and keep it in cute little jars with a matching scoop and artfully dish it out according to the amount of meat I am cooking with that day.  Or, I could buy the store brand lowered sodium taco seasoning packet and dump it on whatever size package of ground beef I happen to remember to thaw out the night before.

After a good fry up, I put the ground beef in a sieve strainer to rid it of the excess fat.  'Cause nobody likes oily lettuce.

The tortillas look like this when they come out of the baker.  They  have been in the oven for about 10-15 minutes.  Definitely a different taste than the traditional fried taco bowls you generally find at restaurants, but probably much healthier.  I do spray the tortillas with cooking spray before popping them in the oven.  I find it gives them a nice crunch.

Be sure to employ child labour to put the lettuce in the bowls.

Lest there be any confusion, he does get to eat around here.  It's part of his wages.

The meat gets re-heated and then tossed onto the carefully shredded lettuce.

And then the cheese.  Never forget the cheese.  I heard a theory from Rachael Ray once that you can use less cheese if you use a stronger flavoured one.  I say just use the stronger flavoured one and still use more.  Feel free to test the theory out and get back to me.

Use up the last of the sliced tomato in your fridge.  Waste not, want not.  Just don't put it on my kids' salads.  There will be a melt down.

And, of course, the homemade pineapple salsa and Sealtest 14% sour cream.  Accept no substitutes.

What, still no homemade salsa at your house?  For shame.

Had I been to chiropractor earlier in the day and had my head on straight before I began making this meal extraordinaire, I would have saved out some taco seasoning to mix in with the sour cream.  But the appointment was after supper.  So I didn't.  Oh well.   Martha's job is filled anyways.

There you have it.  My kids even ate it, minus the tomato and salsa parts.  I guess there are some parts of the 90s that are worth revisiting 1. 2.
Share/Save/Bookmark 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment