Google Friend Connect

Search This Blog

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Birthday Celebrations

We are in the midst of celebrating and re-celebrating my daughter's second birthday. It hasn't actually come yet, but we've already got one of three celebrations under our belt. Last Saturday, we headed back to Windsor to celebrate with the Delands. We had it all planned: Winston was staying with neighbours across the street, the items we needed to take with us had been assembled and placed by the door, the truck was full of gasoline. We were all in, ready to go, and then it happened: click, click. Attempts to jump the truck using the car failed and resulted in sparks. We now find out it also shorted some fuses, some we knew about that day (our own) and some in the truck (those we found out about later). So, we quickly re-loaded into our wee little Hyundai Elantra and headed out again. We stopped at a London McD's for breakfast and still made it to grandma and grandad's before noon. Once Uncle Todd, Aunt Michelle, and cousin Josh arrived, we ate lunch and opened gifts. Then the real fun began. Elyza had been acting a little off, but we attributed it to her cold. With Josh's playpen set up in grandad's room, Jason attempted to put Pooh down on the spare bed. She proceeded to upchuck everything she had eaten. What a mess. Have you seen those marshmallow candy hearts, the ones covered in red sugar? I have. Twice in the same day. Uncle Todd and Aunt Michelle chose this point to head home and attempt to put Josh to bed in more familiar surroundings. The new clothes Elyza had gotten for her birthday came in might handy that day. Once my girl finally fell asleep in my arms, we transferred her back to a bed. I had originally planned to do a little shopping, but this idea was quickly kiboshed. We shared the Dora cake I had made especially for my Elyza Jane, and she didn't get even one bite.

Uncle Todd and Aunt Michelle go bowling on Saturday nights and grandma and grandad watch Josh, so we needed to leave while she was still sleeping. So, we grudgingly woke her up and packed up. Elliot was asleep before we left the subdivision. Which wouldn't have been too bad, except that we were only going a few kilometres down the road. Again, we grudgingly woke up our eldest and tromped in to meet some old neighbour friends, people who were more like another set of grandparents and parents than just the people across the road. My little girl was ill, again, this time in the sink instead of on a non-wipable surface. Once we got her cleaned up and into more clean clothes, there were more gifts. Replica red Mustang and Corvette cars for Elliot and a little tow truck that makes siren noises and chugs along the floor. A giant floor puzzle for Elyza Jane with a book and then, the piece de resistance - an inflatable Wonder Pets ball house, complete with 50 balls. Oh boy oh boy! However, the inflatable part had to wait until we got home. Even Mr. Pat didn't have enough hot air to blow it up, not even with Momma's help.

We ordered Chinese, put Elyza to bed and chatted with our old friends for quite a while, enjoying the birthday cake that Mrs. Nancy had made, on Elyza's behalf. They are expecting their first grandchild in May. Their daughter and her husband live in Las Vegas, a hotel manager and a soon-to-be chef extraordinaire. We reluctantly packed up and headed out, unfolding ourselves out of the Mighty Hyundai at about 1 am. Elliot was sound asleep and stayed that way. Elyza, on the other hand, came inside and again was violently ill, at least this time, most of it was on the linoleum. Another change of clothing and eventually off to sleep for all, around 2 am.

So, what have we all learned from this experience? A few things, I think. First, start the truck first, before anything else. If it doesn't go, neither do we. I believe God speaks in a lot of ways. Some of them not so mysterious, if we will just pay attention. Secondly, His ways are not my ways. My ways, for the weekend, included some me time, shopping, and pleasant travel. His ways included some very close family time, cleaning up vomit, and tight traveling quarters. There was a reason. Dunno what it is yet, but I trust, that in His time, I'll figure it out. Thirdly, to be sure to continue to make the effort, even when you don't feel like it. Good friends are hard to find and harder to keep. 1. 2.
Share/Save/Bookmark 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment