Google Friend Connect

Search This Blog

Friday, November 12, 2010

Chocolate and Caramel Oatmeal Bars

E2 and I made these this week.  In preparation for Christmas, of course.  We had to leave a few out to sample, just to ensure a quality product for the upcoming holiday season.

Here is the link to the original recipe.  It's a Betty Crocker.  It's hard to go wrong with Betty

Betty Crocker Chocolate and Caramel Oatmeal Bars

These weren't bad, but I think I'd change things up a bit. They start out with a yellow cake mix and quick rolled oats.  You add butter, chopped pecans, chocolate chips, and some thickened caramel topping.  Predictable and consistent, to be sure.  But maybe lacking a little something. 

If I were to make them again, I'd probably add something else to the cake mix mixture.  Cinnamon, perhaps?  A little less butter or more oatmeal may have made for a more crumbly mixture.  Mine turned out very wet.  A more of a streusel topping would have made my heart sing a little louder.

All in all, a dependable, quick to whip together concoction.  It'll be in my recipe file, but maybe not for super special events where I'd like to wow someone. 1. 2.
Share/Save/Bookmark 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment