Google Friend Connect

Search This Blog

Monday, April 4, 2011

Butterscotch Spice Cookies

I have begun to get regular e-mail updates from Pinnacle Foods, maker of Duncan Hines products, among other things.

Another gem arrived today.  This one, just in the nick of time.  The bus stops at our house at 3:45.  It was 3 pm.  The cookie jar was woefully empty.  What to do?

In a pinch, and for the sake of time and the reduction of mess and dishes, I am a big fan of starting with a mix and then going from there.  In this case, Butterscotch Spice Cookies were up to bat.  Simple pimple these are, let me tell you.  And ready by the time the bus pulled up and the kids tumbled out.

Start with this handful of ingredients and some oil.  You'll need to use your imagination here.  The oil was absent for the class photo.  Dump the spice cake mix, two eggs, a teaspoon of vanilla, and 1/2 cup of vegetable oil in and set the mixer to whirl about.

It definitely will not be confused with cake mix at this point.  Very heavy and very glumpy.  Resembles really heavy kindergarten paste, only tastier.  Or at least, this is what my quality assurance man tells me.

Dump in the butterscotch chips and mix it all up.  I kind of went overboard here on the chips and probably shouldn't have.  The dough can really only hold about a cup of chips.

They look a little shiny and feels a tad oily.  You can see where too many chips would become problematic here.

And here are the cookie balls, all lined up in pretty little rows.  The recipe tells you it makes three dozen cookies.  I ended up with 42 decent sized cookies.  Now, I'm not pointing fingers or anything, but maybe Mr. Hines is bad at math.  Or just likes huge cookies.  I am not here to judge.

At any rate, they pretty much filled up the cookie jar in under half an hour, including baking time.  They only bake for 8-10 minutes, and collecting the ingredients probably takes about as much time as actually mixing them together.  Or at least it does in my house.

Anyways, this makes a quick cookie to have on hand for after school or to send to the class bake sale, or when you have forgotten that today is church potluck.  Not that I've ever been in that predicament.


**This is my own review.  Pinnacle Foods and Mr. Hines have no idea who I am.  If I were to succumb to a horrible rolling pin accident tomorrow, they would shed no tears. 1. 2.
Share/Save/Bookmark 3.

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to try this one. These are ingredients I usually have on hand.
    The recipe I use is a box of cake mix, one egg & a tub of cool whip. Mix together, make balls & roll in powdered sugar. They bake in 10-15 minutes. Lemon, Cherry, Chocolate, whatever you have. You can do Spice, carrot, etc rolled in cinnamon/sugar too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a fast and easy recipe , and in this house, food in little mouths in record time is key!!:)

    ReplyDelete