I can also attest that the representatives from the Foundation that visited his school lately to introduce the program did an incredible job of explaining, even to my little guy, about healthy eating and activity. Now, if only they would do in-home visits. Perhaps Goose and I would soak up the information as well as E1 has.
Here are just a few of the scary facts the Foundation has collected:
- 28% of Ontario kids are overweight or obese
- 26% of Canadian kids are overweight or obese
- Childhood obesity rates have tripled over the past 25 years
- Only 20% of Canadian children receive daily physical activity education in school
- 50% of children and youth aged 5 to 17 aren't active enough for optimal growth and development
- 7 out of 10 children aged 4 to 8 don’t eat the recommended daily intake of vegetables and fruit
To that end, I am posting this, not only to raise awareness about our lack of activity and need for healthier decision making, but to also ask my readers to contribute towards the cause.
Sure, E1 will get some cool stuff. Sure, the school will get credit towards equipment for the gym programs. But most importantly, the good people at the Heart and Stroke Foundation will have the funds to continue their life saving work.
This here is E1's personal donation page. But a donation to any of these kids, and to this organization, is much appreciated. If you donate online, you will automatically get a receipt to print out and keep for income tax purposes.
And, as if that isn't enough incentive, who could resist this face?
And thank you for your support.1. 2.